Benefits of Centella asiatica
Benefits of Centella asiatica – Centella asiatica or gotu kola is a wild plant that grows a lot in plantation areas, fields, to rice field bunds. Some aquarium hobbyists also make it as a decoration because this plant is easy to adapt to the aquascape.
There are many names used to refer to these vines that have small, kidney-like leaves. Some names to refer to gotu kola are like jalukap, semangen, sleep, bunches, and others.
This plant also has several types, but the most famous are the green gotu kola and red gotu kola. Even so, the contents of the two are not much different.
Ingredients of Centella asiatica
In the Centellae herbaceous plant, there are several compounds such as asiaticoside, madecassoside, brahmoside, madasiatic acid, meso-inositol, centelloside, carotenoids, hydrocotylin, vellarine, and tannins.
There are also some minerals such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, calcium, and iron.
The properties of Centella asiatica plants
Based on the ingredients mentioned above, some of the beneficial properties of gotu kola are as follows.
2. Anti allergies
9. Antipyretic or fever reducer
10. Hemostatica or stop bleeding
11. Diuretics or laxative urine
7 Benefits of Gotu Kola for Body Health
From some of these ingredients, the benefits of gotu kola leaves that have been trusted traditionally to medical evidence are as follows.
1. Overcoming Mild Interference is the Benefit of Gotu Kola
Some minor ailments that can be overcome by gotu kola leaves are fever, cough, canker sores, flatulence, and decreased appetite.
Someone who has an injury has the potential to experience keloids or excessive scars. It certainly will make the surface of the skin becomes less good. Saponin compounds contained in gotu kola leaves are claimed to be able to overcome this.
3. Healing Wounds is the Benefit of Centella asiatica
Traditionally, the benefits of gotu kola have been used for a long time as a natural ingredient to accelerate wound healing and increase blood supply to the wound area. Now, the medical world also claims that applying an ointment with gotu kola leaf extract will speed up the healing of surgical scars and burns.
4. Normalizing Blood Flow is the Benefit of Gotu Kola
The benefits of gotu kola are known to reduce swelling and improve blood flow in the body. This will indirectly be very important for people who have varicose veins and venous insufficiency or a condition where there is pooling of blood in the leg area.
5. Eliminating stretch marks is the benefit of gotu kola
The content of terpenoid compounds makes the benefits of gotu kola very important in producing collagen in the body. Collagen is known to lighten skin tone, including reducing stretch marks.
6. Improves Brain Function
Gotu kola leaves are known to have a high enough folic acid content which is good for improving brain function, even this will be very important for someone who is recovering from a stroke.
For someone who has Alzheimer’s, the benefits of gotu kola are also very good at improving memory and nerve function. In fact, gotu kola leaf extract is also very good at protecting cells from poisoning or plaque formation that triggers Alzheimer’s disease.
7. Relieves Stress And Anxiety Are The Benefits Of Gotu Kola
Triterpenoid compounds in gotu kola leaves are very important in providing antidepressant effects, thereby reducing stress and anxiety.
This shows that gotu kola leaves are very good for consumption for someone who has difficulty sleeping or someone who has inflammation of the nerves.
Also Read: Benefits of Dragon Fruit for Pregnant Women, Benefits of Drinking Water for Health
The Risk of Side Effects of Centella asiatica
What was the description of some of the benefits of gotu kola which are good for the body and cure for several diseases. Even though it has many positive ingredients, this plant also has a risk of side effects.
Some of the side effects that we may get when we consume gotu kola are headaches, nausea and stomach pain, dizziness, burning or sore skin, vomiting, and several other allergic reactions.
It would be better if consuming gotu kola extract starting with a very low dose and increasing slowly.
If using it as an ointment, use it on safer parts of the skin such as the elbows or back first.
Herbal concoctions from this ingredient should also not be consumed in the long term, or no longer than 6 weeks.
Conclusion Benefits of this plant
Gotu Kola, also known as Centella asiatica or Gotu Kola, is an herbal plant that has been used in traditional medicine in various parts of the world, especially in South Asia, China and Indonesia. This plant has a long history in Ayurvedic medicine and traditional Chinese medicine. The following are some of the benefits and efficacy of gotu kola, which have been proven through various scientific studies and traditional experiences.
- Improves cognitive function: Several studies have shown that gotu kola can help improve cognitive functions such as memory, concentration, and intelligence. This is largely attributed to its ability to improve blood circulation in the brain and protect nerve cells from oxidative damage.
- Reduces stress and anxiety: Studies have shown that gotu kola has adaptogenic properties, meaning it can help the body deal with stress and achieve balance. The active components in gotu kola, such as triterpenoids, are known to lower levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, and increase levels of GABA, a neurotransmitter that plays a role in calming the nervous system.
- Improves blood circulation: Gotu kola has been shown to increase blood circulation and strengthen blood vessels, which can help reduce swelling and improve wound healing. It can also help in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Heals wounds and skin: For centuries, gotu kola has been used topically to treat wounds, boils, and other skin conditions. The content of triterpenoids and flavonoids in gotu kola is known to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects that can help heal wounds and improve skin texture.
- Keeps the liver healthy: Studies have shown that gotu kola can help protect the liver from damage by certain toxins and drugs. The active components in gotu kola, such as asiaticoside and madecassoside, are known to have hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects that can maintain liver health.
- Boosts the immune system: Regular use of gotu kola can help boost the immune system by increasing the production of white blood cells and activating the innate immune system. This can help fight infection and disease.
- Anti-aging benefits: It is known that gotu kola has anti-aging effects, thanks to its strong antioxidant properties. Regular use can help fight free radical damage, which is a major cause of premature aging.
Benefits of Centella asiatica
Benefits of Centella asiatica
Available in Store Only